Alleged farm attacker arrested for two murders
A shooter who allegedly killed two people on a KwaZulu-Natal farm‚ including a 76-year-old man‚ has appeared in court. The police are still tracing other suspects who were part of the gang. KwaZulu-Natal police said a task team from the Ulundi Cluster made a breakthrough when they arrested the man (aged 33) who is suspected to be linked to the farm attack at Gluckstadt last week.The suspect was arrested at Vryheid area on Tuesday and a vehicle suspected to be used during the crime was recovered. He briefly appeared in the Vryheid Magistrate’s Court on Thursday facing two counts of murder‚ attempted murder and house robbery.The farm attack occurred on April 19 at about 8.30pm."Three victims were in their farm house at Gluckstadt area near Vryheid when they were attacked by a group of suspects. They were shot at and sustained serious gunshot wounds. The suspects took an undisclosed amount of cash before they fled the scene. The injured victims were taken to a local hospital where William James Van Rooyen‚ (37) died on his way to hospital. The second victim‚ Lodewyk van Rooyen (76) died later in hospital‚" the SAPS said.KwaZulu-Natal Provincial Commissioner‚ Lieutenant General Mmamonnye Ngobeni‚ asked for the public's assistance.“I encourage the community to come forward and give us information about the whereabouts of the remaining suspects who were allegedly involved in the shooting‚” she said.