‘Hlaudism is not journalism’ – Pickets against censorship at the SABC

01 July 2016 - 11:04 By TMG Digital

Journalists‚ civil society groups and concerned members of the public gathered outside the offices of the South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) in Cape Town and Johannesburg in the name of media freedom on Friday.Dressed in black‚ they carried posters that said “Not in our name” and “Hlaudism is not journalism” – the latter a reference to controversial SABC COO Hlaudi Motsoeneng‚ whose policy decisions have led to a crisis at the public broadcaster.Lisa McCleodJournalists protesting outside the SABC offices in Cape Town on 1 July 2016.Passing motorists tooted their car horns in support of the estimated 100-strong crowd who had braved the threat of inclement weather and gathered early on Friday in Sea Point. The pickets come a day after the South African National Editors Forum said it would approach Parliament in light of allegations of censorship and disciplinary action taken against six SABC employees.Journalists protesting outside the SABC offices in Auckland Park, Johannesburg on 1 July 2016.Disciplinary charges have been laid against Special Assignment executive producer Busisiwe Ntuli‚ SAfm current affairs executive producer Krivani Pillay and senior investigative reporter Jacques Steenkamp‚ who sent a letter to Motsoeneng raising their “displeasure and increasing concern” over recent developments at the public broadcaster.Journalists protesting outside the SABC offices in Cape Town on 1 July 2016.Their letter followed the suspensions of economics editor Thandeka Gqubule‚ RSG executive producer Foeta Krige and senior journalist Suna Venter last week‚ who raised objections to an edict not to cover a Right2Know (R2K) protest outside SABC offices.The R2K action was in response to the Motsoeneng’s directive that the SABC would no longer air footage of violent protest action.Journalists protesting outside the SABC offices in Auckland Park, Johannesburg on 1 July 2016.Despite the protest happening on its doorsteps‚ the protest hadn’t featured in any SABC News Online ‏@SABCNewsOnline’s tweets on Friday morning.We are here! @lulushezi #BlackFriday #SABC outside entrance 2 Radio Park @News24 @SAEditorsForum @SAMediaMonitorThe protest trended on the social media platform under various hashtags‚ including #SABCprotest #blackfriday #MediaFreedom and #notinmyname.

This article is reserved for Sunday Times subscribers.

A subscription gives you full digital access to all Sunday Times content.

Already subscribed? Simply sign in below.

Registered on the BusinessLIVE, Business Day, Financial Mail or Rand Daily Mail websites? Sign in with the same details.



Questions or problems? Email helpdesk@timeslive.co.za or call 0860 52 52 00.

X