Stellenbosch school bully appears in court
The court case of a Stellenbosch school girl accused of assault with the intent to do grievous bodily harm was postponed on Wednesday and will only be heard in January 2017.
National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) spokesman in the Western Cape‚ Eric Ntabazalila‚ said the hearing was held at the Stellenbosch Magistrate’s Court. The case has been transferred to the Child Justice Court in Stellenbosch and will be heard on January 25.
The Grade 8 pupil from Luckhoff High School was filmed viciously assaulting a classmate on November 24. The accused is seen shaking her classmate’s head and smashing a knee into her face. She was left bleeding from the head.
A similar video‚ filmed four days later at the same school‚ captured another girl punching a pupil in the head.
Both videos were uploaded and shared on social media‚ and have since gone viral. Disciplinary hearings into both incidents are being held.
A disciplinary hearing for the first incident was originally scheduled for last week‚ but was postponed when the student's parent did not arrive.
Jessica Shelver‚ spokesperson for Western Cape MEC Debbie Schaffer‚ said the hearing would definitely take place.
“The parent did not show up for the first disciplinary which was scheduled for last Thursday. The disciplinary will go ahead today (Wednesday) whether they turn up or not‚” Shelver said.
Shelver said that both victims were receiving counseling.
Several steps had been taken by the department in collaboration with other partners to address bullying at the school. They include a partnership with Child Welfare Stellenbosch along with the Ida’s Valley community to address violence within homes‚ schools and the community.
Teachers will also be sent on a workshop related to the safekeeping and protection of pupils.
TMG Digital/Cape Newsroom