Second arrest over Camps Bay shooting
Two more men have been arrested in connection with a suspected nightclub turf war in Cape Town after separate shootings at popular venues‚ Cafe Caprice in Camps Bay and Coco Bar in Loop Street‚ earlier this year. This brings the total number of arrests to four.
The Hawks said on Friday its Serious Organised Crime Unit had arrested a second man in connection with the April shooting at Cafe Caprice‚ during which two people were wounded when gunmen burst in and opened fire indiscriminately.
A 36-year-old suspect from Mitchell’s Plain was arrested on Thursday (05-10-2017)‚ the Hawks said. He is due to appear in the Cape Town Magistrate’s Court alongside Jordan Fabe‚ 25. They both face charges of attempted murder. Fabe‚ arrested on Friday September 29‚ was remanded in custody after a brief court appearance this week.
On Friday‚ the Hawks further said that a suspect‚ 21‚ from Kraaifontein‚ was arrested on Thursday in connection with a shootout outside the Coco Bar in May.
He faces two counts of attempted murder when he appears in court on Monday.
This is also the second arrest in connection with the shooting‚ after Naeem Harris (21) was arrested. He appeared in court last month.
Two victims – one a DJ‚ the other a patron - were wounded after a shooting at Coco Bar just after midnight on May 4.
The Hawks took over the Cafe Caprice case after allegations that the shooting was linked to a club scene turf war in the Western Cape.
Provincial Head of the Hawks in the Western Cape‚ Brigadier Neil Oliver‚ commended the team after Fabe’s court appearance. In a statement dated October 2‚ he said: “We have noted with concern reports of clubs’ underworld activities and we shall continue to keep our eyes and ears on the ground. We will not tolerate any lawlessness in this country. This arrest is a demonstration of our stand‚ and more arrests cannot be ruled out.”
The Coco Bar case has also been linked to "an apparent ongoing clubs security turf war in Cape Town and surrounding areas"‚ according to the Hawks statement.