FNB on Tuesday confirmed it had received a summons from an attorney representing approximately 60 customers who lost their goods when their safety deposit boxes were burgled at its Randburg and Parktown branches in 2016 and 2017.
"The bank will consider the summons and instruct its attorneys to defend the matter‚" said Lee-Anne van Zyl‚ CEO of FNB Points of Presence.
The First National Bank clients had served the banking giant with court papers to force it to reimburse them.
Speaking to TimesLIVE earlier‚ the victims’ group organiser‚ Kelly Fraser‚ expressed optimism that the court would rule in their favour.
"We are very optimistic of our case. We have spent the last eight months fine-tuning our application to ensure that it is well put together‚" Fraser said.
The matter is due to be handled by the High Court in Johannesburg.
Fraser said they were claiming more than R121-million in damages based on almost 2‚000 items that she and more than 50 other plaintiffs had lost when the bank's security boxes were emptied.
She said others who had suffered losses had chosen to accept the small offers which were made by the bank last year but those with significant losses had chosen to forge ahead.
Others had also settled for the small payouts because they did not have the financial muscle to take on FNB‚ she added.
Van Zyl said they had reimbursed most of their clients.
"FNB further confirms that the majority of its customers who were impacted by safe custody burglaries have accepted its settlement offers which were finalised in 2017‚" she said.
TimesLIVE reported last year that many of the offers FNB had made to its clients appeared to be below 20%‚ of the full value of their claim.