Vlakfontein murders: South Africa expected to learn more about two accused
Two men implicated in the murder of seven family members in Vlakfontein, south of Johannesburg, are expected to appear in the Lenasia Magistrate's Court on Tuesday.
The case was postponed last Monday after the 27-year-old Zimbabwean who infiltrated the Khoza family by pretending to be a long-lost relative, then allegedly embarked on a killing spree, decided to apply for bail.
His lawyer, Makau Sekgatja, told the court that his client had a change of heart and now wanted to apply for bail.
The man cannot be named as he is also facing charges of rape. He, however, falsely introduced himself to the family as Sibusiso Khoza.
The National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) has alleged that "Khoza" raped three of the family members.
"Khoza" and his co-accused, 61-year-old Fita Khupe, are accused of murdering seven family members, including three women and four children.
The family members were found murdered and buried under mounds of soil inside their home in Gauteng.
Khupe’s Legal Aid lawyer withdrew last Monday, and he is now being represented by a private attorney, Gerhard Landman.
The court heard on Monday that "Khoza" had allegedly received threats from Khupe.
Magistrate Maggie van der Merwe stressed that while the claim was unsubstantiated, she would ensure the pair were separated. One of the accused was to be held at Krugersdorp prison and the other at Johannesburg prison.
Captain Mavela Masondo told TimesLIVE earlier that "Khoza" was arrested in Mpumalanga‚ near the Lebombo border post‚ where he was found in possession of bank cards belonging to two of the victims. Khupe was arrested in Dobsonville, Soweto.
Both men face seven charges of premeditated murder for what the state claimed was a "well-orchestrated" crime.
TimesLIVE reported earlier that one of the murdered women‚ Nomfundo Khoza‚ had sent frantic WhatsApp messages to her family moments before she died‚ but when they phoned back‚ there was no answer.
Police discovered the bodies on October 29 after neighbours reported a stench‚ leading authorities to the bodies of the three women and four children.