No-gun policy on the cards after Durban court shooting

03 December 2018 - 11:13 By Jeff Wicks
Deputy justice minister John Jeffrey briefs the media on Monday in the wake of a shooting at the Durban regional court last week.
Deputy justice minister John Jeffrey briefs the media on Monday in the wake of a shooting at the Durban regional court last week.
Image: Jeff Wicks

Police have been disarmed as part of the increased security in the Durban magistrate’s court precinct. The move could be be extended to other courtrooms across the country. 

Deputy  justice minister John Jeffrey said stricter control on firearms in court was a national challenge.

Jeffrey was speaking days after KwaMashu policeman Phumlani Chiliza shot his wife Deboseng and her brother in the public gallery of a divorce court.

Chiliza shot himself and died later in hospital. 

“We do have to tighten security at the courts. What we are now doing is looking at the finer details and what can be applied to courts in Durban and nationally,” said Jeffrey. 

“The purpose of the meeting [at court on Monday] was to speak to our staff and hear their concerns and offer condolences on behalf of the department,” Jeffrey said.

Jeffrey said that no-one, apart from court orderlies, would be allowed to bring a gun into the building. 

“Things have been tightened up here and no-one will be able to bring a gun in here unless they are a court orderly. There are gun safes at the entrance but that said, there are broader issues of security at play.”


X