Gauteng man arrested for rape of two young girls, including a 9-year-old who died
Gauteng police have vowed not to leave any stone unturned as they investigate the apparent rape of two girls, aged nine and 13, in Sebokeng on Wednesday.
The nine-year-old was declared dead on the scene when police arrived. A 22-year-old man, who lived at the house where the incident took place, has been arrested.
“For now he is being charged with two charges of rape. He is also facing a charge of murder of the 9-year-old girl. Police are still on the scene, there could be more charges,” said police spokesperson, Brig Mathapelo Peters.
Medicals tests confirmed that the two children had been raped.
"A police officer, at around 2am Wednesday, responded to an alert of children screaming, and on arrival at the scene found the 22-year-old suspect.
“Inside the house police also found the body of a 9-year-old girl, who was declared dead on the scene, as well as a 13-year-old girl with multiple injuries,” said Peters.
Weapons believed to have been used by the suspect during the the crimes had been confiscated.
Gauteng police commissioner Lt-Gen Elias Mawela condemned the incident, which he described as atrocious. He expressed condolences to the family of the deceased girl.
"We can only hope that the swift arrest of the suspect will bring some kind of comfort to the family. Police must leave no stone unturned in making sure that all bases are covered towards a watertight case leading up to a successful conviction by the courts," said Mawela.
He also wished the 13-year old in hospital a speedy and smooth recovery.