Irish aid worker John Curran's 'killer' to apply for bail in April
The man accused of murdering Irish aid worker John Curran is set to apply for bail next month.
Mitspa Onyoka appeared in the Cape Town Magistrate's Court on Friday. The 24-year-old Congolese national was arrested in November after CCTV footage allegedly showed him entering and exiting the apartment block where Curran lived at times that coincided with the murder.
Curran, 60, was allegedly stabbed to death in his city centre apartment on November 7 2018. On Friday, prosecutor Johan Swart asked the court to postpone the matter to April 9 for a formal bail application.
The court heard that Onyoka speaks French but there was no interpreter available. His lawyer, Anthony Berinato, said he would be able to follow Friday's brief proceedings.
Berinato said he had an undertaking that the interpreter would be available for the bail application.
Onyoka wore a grey hoodie, blue jeans and flip flops and looked confident in the dock.
TimesLIVE reported last year that he worked as a cleaner in Voortrekker Road, Cape Town, where he was arrested.
Curran worked for Mellon Education, an NGO that helps improve performance in under-resourced schools. At time of his death, Curran was on extended vacation after completing a two-year directorship contract in SA.