Health department says replacement of old generator at Addington hospital was 'necessary'
The KwaZulu-Natal health department says the replacement of an old underground generator at Durban’s Addington hospital - which resulted in patients being diverted to other facilities - was "necessary and planned".
A circular to emergency medical rescue services from EMRS eThekwini stated that as of midnight on Friday "Addington hospital will not be accepting any patients" until 6pm on Saturday due to the switching over to a new generator.
Patients being transported by ambulance, were diverted to hospitals like King Edward, Prince Mshiyeni and R K Khan.
Department spokesman Ncumisa Mafundaent said the process had been completed on Saturday afternoon.
However one more shutdown - expected to last about six hours - will take place next week Saturday for final testing.
This will result in patients transported by ambulance being diverted again to other hospitals, she said.
"The installation process, which was a non-emergency situation, had started in 2014 and was being carried out in a phased approach.
"While the old generator was being replaced, an alternative standby generator was activated and has been on hand to deal with any power outages.
"Teams of technical experts have also been on standby 24/7 to ensure that the generator kicks in successfully when required to do so.
"The culmination of this process today brings to an end (for the time being) a temporary plan whereby patients with emergencies were being diverted to other hospitals within eThekwini District, while the new generator was being installed.
"During this time the hospital was accepting walk-in patients," said Mafundaent.