“Even if you’re unmarried, you could soon be seen as a ‘spouse’ in the eyes of the law,” he says.
Thomson explains how the term “cohabiting” is currently defined in law and the different ways in which the amendments could apply or be interpreted in future.
“It could mean your partner has an automatic claim to inherit a substantial share of your estate should you pass away, even if you have not been together for very long. Are you sure this would be your last and final wish?”
Topics of discussion include:
- the work of Sanlam Trust; explanations of the proposed amendments;
- defining the use and meaning of the term “cohabiting”;
- how the changes could affect estate planning;
- implications for long-term relationships; and
- advice for how people can navigate this evolving landscape.
Engage on Twitter at #BDSpotlight
Subscribe: iono.fm | Spotify | Apple Podcasts | Pocket Casts | Player.fm
• Business Day Spotlight is a MultimediaLIVE production.