Gauteng education MEC Panyaza Lesufi said almost 40,000 people can apply at the same time.
Education head of department Edward Mosuwe reassured parents that the system had been tested with the best technicians in the country.
“We have tested the system. Before it goes live, we put it into an operational environment and do a stress test. That is why we can talk to 40,000 concurrent users,” he said.
The department said on Friday it had captured more than 165,000 grade 1 and 8 admission applications for next year by noon on Friday.
Department spokesperson Steve Mabona said the glitch was effectively resolved within 30 minutes after the system opened at 8am, and parents were able to proceed with their applications.
The online admissions application period will continue until August 19.
Support independent journalism by subscribing to the Sunday Times. Just R20 for the first month.