Previously, Eskom spokesperson Sikonathi Mantshantsha said load-shedding would not be resolved until more capacity was created.
Mantshantsha told 702 blackouts will continue until there is an additional 4,000MW to 6,000MW of capacity.
“SA does not have enough capacity to generate sufficient electricity for all of us, and that goes back to 2007,” he said.
“You cannot put a time frame.”
According to Mantshantsha, it will take at least 18 months to generate about 1,800MW of new capacity.
Last week, mineral resources and energy minister Gwede Mantashe claimed Eskom CEO André de Ruyter does not have the skills to fix the power utility.
In an interview with the Mail & Guardian, he said the embattled power utility needed a “fixer” and De Ruyter was not the right person due to a skills mismatch.
He said Eskom COO Jan Oberholzer understood the issues better than De Ruyter because he is an engineer.
Reacting to Mantashe’s comments, Freedom Front Plus MP Wynand Boshoff said he has proven he is not the right minister to help SA weather the crisis.
“Mantashe’s statement comes amid increasing pressure on all role players to solve SA’s energy crisis before it turns into a national disaster. He compared De Ruyter to Eskom’s Oberholzer, who, in Mantashe’s view, seems to know exactly what is going on and what needs to be done to turn matters about.
“Mantashe has been serving as the minister of mineral resources and energy since 2019. His appointment was accompanied by optimism and the hope he would take the urgent steps needed to overcome the looming crisis. That hope has since disappeared,” said Boshoff.
Support independent journalism by subscribing to the Sunday Times. Just R20 for the first month.