Gauteng MEC must come clean on R16 million tender fraud: DA
Gauteng health MEC Hope Papo must come clean on a senior official charged with fraud of R16 million, the Democratic Alliance said on Tuesday.
Health spokesman Mike Moriarty said Papo failed to answer questions on Hans Ramogale, who faces a R16 million tender fraud charge and was previously found guilty of procurement irregularities.
"The MEC must answer on progress made in the investigation within the 14-day deadline," Moriarty said in a statement.
"He has not, and therefore has to provide an explanation to a sitting of the Gauteng provincial legislature on Tuesday, November 20."
Moriarty said his question came after he received information from the health department in May that no action was taken against Ramogale.
He said documents leaked to the media indicated Ramogale was found guilty of procurement irregularities and was given the sanction of a final written warning and a three-month suspension without pay.
"This is a severe penalty, being just short of a dismissal. Mr Ramogale claims to be unaware of such disciplinary action," he said.
"The fact that this matter was conveniently buried until I snooped around and the fact that Mr Ramogale has not been dismissed seems to indicate that he enjoys the protection of someone quite senior in the organisation."
Gauteng health spokesman Simon Zwane said an internal disciplinary hearing was underway.
"Ramogale is currently on suspension while the disciplinary action is underway. The department is waiting for the process to be concluded," Zwane said.
free to read for a
limited period! SIGN UP