KZN premier supports Zulu king’s call to stop attacks on foreigners
Caught up in the eye of a xenophobic storm‚ embattled Zulu King Goodwill Zwelithini will finally face the public on Monday over his role in the protracted pandemonium. KwaZulu-Natal Premier Senzo Mchunu announced on Friday that Zwelithini has convened an imbizo where he will speak for first time in public following a three-week wave of xenophobic violence which he has been at the centre of.Zwelithini is accused of inciting violence following his utterance in Pongola three weeks ago that foreigners "should pack their bags and go".The king has not spoken in public since the attacks except for through his office‚ which has consistently denied he made the utterances.His office and government have blamed the media for misquoting the king.Mchunu said the decision to hold the imbizo was taken on Thursday night at the request of the king."We support this imbizo and dialogue as the provincial government and we are fully behind His Majesty and his call for peace‚ stability and a stop to the attacking of foreign nationals‚" said Mchunu.Mchunu said the imbizo will be attended by amakhosi‚ izinduna and amabutho‚ and it will be held at Curries Fountain on Monday."The idea of an imbizo arose following the king's meeting with minister of home affairs earlier this week. In the meeting‚ the king expressed the need to hold an imbizo and the final decision was taken last night‚" said Mchunu.Asked why the king did not partake in the Thursday march or address those who did‚ Mchunu said he hoped all those that are yearning to hear the king will appreciate Monday's imbizo to hear him speak.Acting MEC for co-operative governance and traditional affairs Mike Mabuyakhulu is leading the preparations for the imbizo. – RDM News Wire, The Times..