Shocking details emerge in case against Western Cape ANC chairman
Western Cape ANC chairman Marius Fransman told his alleged sexual assault victim to get over discomfort at his advances if she wanted a job, according to a report.
“She told him [Fransman] that she does not feel comfortable and he said it would be her challenge to overcome if she wants to make a success out of her career and needs to be clinical and cold about it,” the docket, filed by a 20-year-woman who had been appointed as Fransman’s personal assistant, stipulated.
City Press disclosed details of the docket on Sunday.
The alleged victim was apparently working at a wine estate and hotel just outside Stellenbosch, when she met Fransman and was offered the position as his personal assistant.
She went for a job interview on January 2 and was given the position. Fransman apparently then told the woman she would be accompanying him on January 4 to Rustenburg in the North West.
The ANC held its 104th anniversary celebrations in the area on Saturday.
According to the docket, the first incident of assault, allegedly occurred in the car in which Fransman, two of his friends and the woman were travelling. At one point, Fransman apparently swapped seats with his friends, to sit in the back with the woman.
According to the victim – he then started touching her inappropriately.
“On Tuesday, January 5, at about 02:19, they arrived at the Flamingo hotel in Kimberley whereby she was forced to share the bed with the subject and he would wrap his arms over her and rubbed himself against her, touching her breasts.”
It was at this point that, when the woman confronted Fransman and told him she was not comfortable, he allegedly told her that it was "her challenge to overcome" if she wanted to make a success of her career.
On Friday, the woman arrived in the North West and subsequently laid a complaint with the Sun City police.
The City Press newspaper – citing various unnamed police and ANC sources – alleged that the woman was put under pressure, by certain members of the political party, to withdraw the case.
Certain sources also alleged that she was offered money to do so.
Meanwhile, ANC Western Cape spokesperson Yonela Diko denied the claims that anyone tried to quash the case or that anyone offered money to the victim to drop it.
Diko said Fransman was still enjoying a peaceful night’s sleep, despite the case against him.
“Marius Fransman is not losing any sleep over this. He’s had 20 years of unbroken service and he’s seen it all”.
free to read for a
limited period! SIGN UP