DA welcomes SABC protest censorship interdict
The Democratic Alliance has welcomed the court interdict against the SABC's censorship of protest-related violence.Parliament's Portfolio Committee on Communications also said it noted the judgment passed by the high court in Pretoria on Wednesday and hoped that the SABC would abide by the judgement. Earlier this month‚ the Helen Suzman Foundation went to court to apply for an interim interdict stopping the SABC from implementing or enforcing the censorship decision taken to partially cover some protest action. On Wednesday‚ the SABC conceded to the bulk of the application by the foundation.The SABC and the foundation drafted an order‚ which was made an order of the court by Judge John Murphy on Wednesday.The court order interdicted the SABC‚ pending a final determination of the dispute‚ from implementing a censorship decision which amounted to a refusal to cover any violent protest or demonstrations.The DA said while this was a victory for the Constitution and the freedom of the media‚ it would not on its own stop the rot at the public broadcaster.Meanwhile‚ the communications portfolio committee said it was concerned by developments at the SABC after it heard that the public broadcaster had dismissed eight of its journalists.Committee chairman Humphrey Maxegwana said Communications Minister Faith Muthambi would appear before the committee on August 23 to report on the status of all entities that report to her‚ including the SABC. Maxegwana said the committee would use the meeting to understand all developments at the broadcaster."Although not privy to the merits and demerits of the cases‚ resignations and dismissals of employees are a reason for concern‚ especially in a country with high levels of unemployment‚" Maxegwana said.