SABC inquiry to begin soon, ‘may work on Christmas’
The inquiry into issues at the South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) will start on November 29 and could continue its work through the December parliamentary break.
This emerged as an ad hoc committee on the issue met for the first time on Tuesday. The meeting saw African National Congress (ANC) MP Vincent Smith selected as chairperson.
ANC Parliament @ANCParliament tweeted:
The ANC also quoted Smith as saying: “We agree as the committee that we will compress our work‚ even if it means we work on Christmas.”
The programme of the inquiry is to be finalised on November 25 or 26.
The ANC added that the committee said it "will write to the SABC company secretary to submit documents‚ minutes and transcripts of various decisions taken by the #SABC”.
Earlier on Tuesday‚ the Presidency acknowledged the resignations of two of the remaining members of the board of the South African Broadcasting Corporation’s (SABC)
Nomvuyo Mhlakaza and Aaron Tshidzumba stepping down leaves chairperson Professor Mbulaheni Maguvhe as the only remaining member.
“President Jacob Zuma has received and accepted the resignations of Vuyo Mhlakaza and Dr Aaron Tshidzumba as members of the board of the SABC‚ with immediate effect‚” a statement said.
“The President has thanked the two former board members for their contribution during their tenure at the SABC and wished them well in all their future endeavours.”
The ad hoc committee was formed by the National Assembly after the SABC board members objected to the Portfolio Committee on Communications holding the probe‚ citing “prejudice as the main reason‚ and requested that another committee be appointed to carry out the inquiry”.
Portfolio committee chairperson Humphrey Maxegwana had previously said that the “decision to institute an inquiry into the board of the SABC was taken in the public interest‚ in order to establish facts regarding the state of affairs at the public broadcaster and ascertain the fitness of the current members of the board to hold office”.
Maxegwana said the committee “will provide the necessary information to the ad hoc committee in order to allow it to perform its functions in full”.
Maxegwana had‚ on receipt of the remaining board members’ objection‚ referred the issue to the National Assembly’s Chair of Chairs “for guidance”‚ but noted that the communications committee “is empowered to investigate or inquire into and make recommendations concerning executive organs of state‚ constitutional institutions‚ and other bodies or institutions”.
The committee had‚ more than a month ago‚ agreed to hold an inquiry into the SABC board after it quizzed the board on controversial executive Hlaudi Motsoeneng’s new appointment as group executive for corporate affairs‚ following the Supreme Court of Appeal’s dismissal of his challenge to a judgment which ruled that his earlier appointment as chief operating officer was unlawful.
In that meeting‚ SABC board members Vusi Mavuso and Krish Naidoo dropped a bombshell when they resigned‚ citing the “shenanigans” at the public broadcaster.
– TMG Digital