ANC deputy Mike Mabuyakhulu pulls out of list process over fraud charges
The ANC KZN deputy chairman is one of 16 suspects in a case related to the theft of about R28m from the provincial coffers
Embattled ANC deputy chairperson in KwaZulu-Natal Mike Mabuyakhulu has removed his name from the list of candidates vying for positions in parliament and legislatures, the party said on Thursday.
ANC provincial secretary Mdumiseni Ntuli said Mabuyakhulu had stepped aside because "he believes that the ANC, its public image, integrity and reputation are more important than our own interests as its members".
"The decision to request for a temporary withdrawal from the the current list processes until the completion of the court case is premised on the commitment to jealously safeguard the interests of our movement," said Ntuli.
Mabuyakhulu is one of 16 people accused of defrauding the KZN government of about R28m by paying for the Netherlands-based North Sea Jazz Festival. The KZN deputy chairperson earlier this week said he believed the fraud and racketeering charges levelled against him were part of an orchestrated political campaign to exclude him from holding public office.
In his letter to the provincial executive committee, which was read out at the party media briefing, Mabuyakhulu thanked ANC members and branches across the province for expressing their confidence by electing him as number three in the list for deployment to the country's leadership structures, including the provincial legislature.
"However, I would like to request a temporary recusal from the provincial list until I have dealt with pending allegations that are before the courts of law. The request comes from my deep moral conviction, and political consciousness which informed me that we all have a duty to ensure that [the] ANC lives to inspire hope among the general electorate," Mabuyakhulu said.
Ntuli said the province's leadership structures had received and carefully considered Mabuyakhulu’s request.