ANC 'vindicated' after IEC ruling on its controversial parliamentary list
The ANC says it "feels vindicated" after the electoral commission (IEC) on Tuesday dismissed all objections to candidates from the governing party standing for parliament and provincial legislatures.
"The ANC feels vindicated by this outcome. We have confidence in the integrity and credibility of our list process and internal democratic processes," the party said in a statement.
"We hope that the IEC decision will put to rest the vilification campaign that has been unfairly waged against some of the candidates. We call on all South Africans to respect this outcome and to defend the rights of every qualifying South African to participate in the electoral process."
The IEC received submissions from the public objecting to names on the ANC's parliamentary list, including mineral resources minister Gwede Mantashe and deputy president David Mabuza.
TimesLIVE previously reported that among the names objected to in the ANC were cabinet ministers Nomvula Mokonyane, Bathabile Dlamini, Zweli Mkhize, Angie Motshekga and Bheki Cele.
Former ministers Malusi Gigaba, Mosebenzi Zwane, Faith Muthambi, Bongani Bongo, Tina Joemat-Pettersson and David Mahlobo also received objections.
In a press briefing in Sandton, the IEC said the objections failed to meet the "constitutional and statutory criteria".