The conference, which kept the eyes of the nation glued on eThekwini over the weekend, is even more significant for Gumede as she was elected with her entire slate for the region's officials,- gaining a clean sweep.
The crucial positions in the ANC’s biggest region were won by:
- Gumede, regional chairperson;
- Thembo Ntuli, deputy chairperson;
- Musa Nciki, regional secretary;
- Nkosenhle Madlala, secretary; and
- Zoe Shabalala, treasurer.
In a media briefing shortly after their victory, Ntuli, Madlala and Nciki, who are the only members of the five officials not facing any corruption-related charges, addressed the media.
Nciki said the leadership collective will focus on embracing all members, including those they were in contest with for positions.