Ailing Roddick withdraws from Madrid
American Andy Roddick will head into Roland Garros with only one or two clay matches to hand after withdrawing from the Madrid Masters with a stomach virus.
The fifth seed was unable to take to the court against intended opening opponent Feliciano Lopez of Spain after fighting the illness for the past several days.
Roddick last played in Miami in April, winning that hardcourt event and has spent three weeks training on clay in the US.
With his health status still uncertain, the former number one is unsure when and where he will get any warm-up for the French Open, which begins a week from Sunday.
“I would have taken this virus any time over the past five weeks, but unfortunately I have it now,” he said.
“I was up about 24 hours between Sunday and Monday night with all the symptoms. I played doubles Tuesday and found I could not focus on the ball. This morning after warm-up it was the same.
“It's disappointing since I've worked hard after Miami. We will have to see what I can do to get a match or two,” said the player with one Paris exhibition match guaranteed next week.
Roddick said he was unlikely to be able to commit to the World Team Championship in Duesseldorf, Germany where the US is entered in the eight-nation field.
“I can't say if I could commit to a Sunday start considering how I'm feeling.
“I'll have to see what I can do later for some matches.
“But I went into Paris last year with only two match wins and had my best Roland Garros ever (fourth-round loss to Gael Monfils).
“I'd feel more worried about Paris if I'd not put in such good work on clay."
free to read for a
limited period! SIGN UP