Kenya axe Komon from team
Athletics Kenya on Saturday dropped world 10km record holder Leonard Komon from the team for next month’s world cross country championships for defying orders not to defend his title in Puerto Rico, his manager said.
Komon was included in the 24-member national team, expected to start training on Sunday for the world cross country championships in Punta Umbria, Spain on March 20, but the 24-year-old runner opted instead to travel to Puerto Rico for Sunday’s race.
Komon, a veteran of five world junior and senior cross country competitions, had sought permission to be allowed to compete but his request was turned down by the Athletics Kenya (AK) executive.
“Please take note we have refused quite a number of athletes that were selected to represent Kenya at the World Cross Country Championships and it would not therefore be fair to allow you to participate and yet we have refused the others,” AK secretary David Okeyo, said in a letter to the athlete.
But Komon’s manager Marc Corstjens accused the federation of causing the confusion saying the athlete had been given permission to compete in Puerto Rico, in a bid to finalize on his speedwork in preparation for the World cross country championships.
“Leonard is an athlete who likes very much to follow earlier discussed plans. Making good plans brings him to good performances,” he said.
free to read for a
limited period! SIGN UP