How to … Get the raise you deserve
Asking for a raise can be daunting for most people, but research shows that it can be even harder for women.
"When it comes to the gender pay gap, many say that women are less likely to negotiate their salaries than men are. However, recent research shows that women ask for a raise just as often as men, but men are more likely to be successful," says 1st for Women Insurance's Casey Rousseau.
She has the following advice for women:
• Speak up about your accomplishments; do not assume your manager will notice how hard you work or how indispensable you have become.
• Do some research so you know what other organisations pay for similar posts.
• Have a plan for how you will achieve your goals and talk about it; most managers are impressed by ambition.
• Asking for a raise should not be done via e-mail; it needs to be done face to face.
• Show your manager in your confident and positive demeanour that you deserve to be taken more seriously.
• Do not give your manager an ultimatum — no-one responds well to being threatened...