28 breakthrough online companies to watch in SA
From ecommerce platforms to tour operators, here’s a round-up of some of the most innovative online businesses
1. SA Shares is an exciting new platform for first-time and seasoned investors looking to invest in JSE-listed shares. It’s easy to use and has a wealth of information to help make an informed decision on any listed share in SA. You can also learn to trade shares and forex on the platform.
2. Stock Market College is arguably the biggest stock market learning academy in Africa today. It enrols about 500 new students every month, ranging from beginners to full-time professionals. The key to its success has been in offering an in-depth forex and stock-market trading course that’s easy to grasp and apply. The college’s competitive edge is its online support and access to a team of dedicated mentors for every client.
3. QuickTrade has revolutionised the African online trading industry through its advanced and world-renowned Metatrader 5 trading platform. It has more than 15,000 forex and share traders, and is growing at an exponential rate. Create a free account in minutes and trade from the convenience of your phone or device of your choice.
4. Forex Trading Africa has made it easy and convenient for anyone to join the forex trading revolution. Forex Trading Africa allows you to choose between the best forex platforms for your level of expertise. It has taken Africa by storm, especially eastern Africa.
Finance and B2B solutions
5. Paperjet is a start-up company disrupting the online document-signing industry in Africa. Complete any form in your browser with the “Drag & Drop” feature within a few seconds. The user-friendly field-detection facility created by Paperjet makes it simple to complete, sign and submit any e-signing form.
6. Zinia grew into a business telecoms and information and communications technology powerhouse and, 10 years later, is now considered one of the most innovative and client-centric providers in the country. With a complete offering of information technology, internet and voice under one roof, companies receive get accountability and simplicity of service. Businesses rave about Zinia, giving them a consistent 4.8/5 rating for customer-service excellence. Zinia is also the most rated business provider in SA, according to its website.
7. Payday Payroll Software is a professional payroll, human resources and time and attendance (T&A) software company that adds value to businesses via the application of a client-oriented, user-empowerment approach. With the best technological resources available, PayDay is on the frontier of cutting-edge technology, also providing cloud-based products and a mobile app-based T&A system.
The company's website states it is trusted by more than 3,500 corporate businesses and 48% of local government.
8. FMJ Financial Services is one of the leading tax practitioners and consultants in SA, specialising in working with all aspects related to individual tax, tailoring your quote according to your unique profile. The company’s service is founded on the commitment, dedication and professionalism of the team, which strives to serve clients by adhering to its own standard of excellence. FMJ’s online content hub is a source for in-depth personal tax help.
9. Businesses4sale is a leading online business broking company, connecting people looking for a business to buy and/or sell. The company has experienced unprecedented growth in a saturated market, largely due to its buy/sell platform, which is easy to navigate. The profile of businesses for sale on Business4Sale is broad and varied. It’s one of the most exciting online business-broking tools in SA.
10. BebedeParis is an international online baby gift service in SA that combines exclusive baby gifts with customer-service excellence. Quality, luxury gift hampers and newborn baby layettes are elegantly presented and delivered to parents nationwide. The unique service allows you to “build your own hamper” and get it delivered using the porter service. Another premium service offered includes the Baby Friendly Companies programme that helps companies support and congratulate employees who are new parents. These packages include a wide range of support services to new parents.
11. Topwatch is a leading South African pre-owned luxury watch retailer that is currently expanding into Africa. Since partnering with global watch leader www.thewatchbox.com, Topwatch now offers one of the most authentic, certified, pre-owned, warranty-backed watches on the continent, with brands on offer including Rolex, Tag Heuer, Panerai and more.
Advertising and research
12. SEOPros is one of the leading search engine optimisation (SEO) companies in southern Africa. A team of 25 highly skilled SEO experts focus on getting your business on the first page of Google and other search engines. The company recently expanded its services to Dubai, Mauritius and Luxembourg due to massive demand for their expertise.
13. Plastic Surgery.Review is hailed as the “TripAdvisor” of cosmetic surgery. The platform has revolutionised the way people select and interact with cosmetic surgeons. Past patient reviews, ratings, before-and-after photos, videos and more all guide users’ decisions in both their surgeon and procedural choices.
14. Interact RDT is one of the leading customer experience consultancies in Africa. It offers a unique scientific approach to experience design that allows customers to quantify their experience and create real organisational change, while driving value for its customers.
This proprietary approach leverages a combination of customer experience, user experience and market-research methodologies to not only help organisations exceed customer expectations, but anticipate them. By doing this, organisations are able to create a distinct competitive advantage that forms lasting customer relationships.
15. Promovate Promotional Gifts makes ordering promotional gifts online as easy as ordering fast food. This dynamic start-up company has perfected the way individuals and corporations order gifts online and is rapidly replacing the need to go shopping for them at stores. Promovate also offers a free logo redraw and artwork layout service, which saves you time and money.
16. Newspaper Advertising is an online print platform showcasing all newspapers and magazines to advertise in. Clients can book advert placements directly with a dedicated and experienced advertising team. All placements include free ad designs and includes a dedicated advertising accounts manager for every business. It has become a one-stop print advertising business.
Travel and tourism
17. MoAfrika Tours has been taking international tourists to famous destinations in Africa for more than two decades. It’s a leading day-tour operator in SA offering sightseeing trips to places like Soweto, Johannesburg, Cape Town and the Pilanesberg Game Reserve. MoAfrika Tours is also popular for personalised long-stay tours to the Kruger National Park, Garden Route and Cape Winelands, as well as Victoria Falls, Namibia, Botswana and the famous national parks in southern Africa.
18. Tydon African Safaris is a renowned, world-class safari group striving and priding itself on giving guests an exciting and unforgettable African wildlife adventure, and a taste of great South African hospitality. Tydon caters for any traveller seeking a luxurious, venturesome safari. The incorporation of both Kruger National Park and Sabi Sands Private Game Reserve gives its guests the best possible native fauna and flora experience in the southern African bush.
19. Bustravel Iceland, a day-tour operator founded in 1960, has now set up office to attract more South African visitors to Iceland. It specialises in day trips to a number of popular destinations in Iceland, including The Golden Circle Tour, Snæfellsnes, The Glacier Lagoon, The South Coast and more.
20. Iceland Cruise Ship Tours has recently opened a virtual office in SA to serve the ever-growing tourism market for South Africans to Iceland. Iceland Guided Tours offers small group tours and private tours to the most famous sights in Iceland. The company also provides special excursions and trips for cruise-ship passengers.
21. Mashalas Soweto Tours, a newcomer on the block, is a Level 1 BEE travel operator taking the local travel industry by storm. The service offers a range of tours in and around Gauteng, and has expanded its offerings to other provinces in the country in the past six months. All tours can conveniently be booked and paid for online.
22. Southern Circle Tours boasts more than 25 years' experience, thousands of happy clients, hundreds of five-star TripAdvisor reviews Southern Circle, and is still a preferred go-to online platform when booking any tour in southern Africa. Southern Circle prides itself in providing personalised attention to each client, tailoring your excursion to your exact needs and budget.
23. Kruger Wildlife Safaris is a South African-based safari and travel company, specialising in taking small groups to several top-rated destinations around southern Africa, including the renowned Kruger National Park. With more than 20 years of travel experience, these tailor-made safaris give guests peace of mind by including essentials such as accommodation, game drives and even select meals in the package price. Book your safari online in three clicks.
Niche online platforms
24. ContractUs has taken out the guess work when trying to book any professional contractor in SA, from a plumber or builder to a qualified engineer. The platform only features verified contractors, giving complete peace of mind to its users.
25. CopiersAfrica has disrupted the office-automation industry through its personalised approach to every business. It offers easy financing and month-to-month rentals for business solutions and stocks the biggest copier (new and refurbished) and PBX brands, with nationwide support network for all its clients.
26. Search All Photographers is one of the biggest online photography search platforms in Africa. The company has set its sights on global domination, with the aim being to list on its site every reputable photographer in the world on the site. It’s like Facebook for photographers, offering customers and photographers the ideal online space to connect and subscribe to services.
27. Commercial People South Africa is an exciting up-and-coming commercial property portal that offers real-estate agents a free-to-list platform to host commercial properties. Choose from a series of offices, co-working spaces, industrial warehouses and more to lease or purchase.
28. Residential People South Africa is an emerging South African property portal that gives real-estate agents the chance to list their properties free of charge. Agents can use state-of-the-art marketing tools such as automated PDF, microsite and video software to enhance and market their listings even further.
This article was paid for by Kruger Bookings.