DANIEL BAINES: How do I file my tax return now that I am working for myself?

25 June 2019 - 05:05 By Daniel Baines

Q: I worked for an employer until August 2018 and have since been freelancing for six service providers. Since September 2018 until the end of the 2018/2019 tax year I have earned R214,500, of which R22,000 has been withheld for tax by my main service provider. After February I have only worked on contract for my main client.

Do I have to file two separate returns — one as an employee until end-August 2018 and another as a freelancer from September 2018 until end-February 2019?
Will I have to pay in any tax?
When and how do I register as a provisional taxpayer? — J Ferguson via e-mail...

This article is reserved for Sunday Times subscribers.

A subscription gives you full digital access to all Sunday Times content.

Already subscribed? Simply sign in below.

Registered on the BusinessLIVE, Business Day, Financial Mail or Rand Daily Mail websites? Sign in with the same details.

Questions or problems? Email helpdesk@timeslive.co.za or call 0860 52 52 00.