Where to stream 'Die Spreeus' and more top Afrikaans shows
Watch enthralling entertainment with proudly South African storylines now on Showmax
You love watching international series about dragons and billionaires, but sometimes there’s nothing better than getting stuck in to a really relatable local story. Even if Afrikaans is not your home language, turn on the subtitles and enjoy these series and movies streaming now on Showmax.
Spooky stories in Die Spreeus
Inexplicable, mysterious and supernatural phenomena are all in the spotlight in Die Spreeus. And if you miss the DStv broadcast (8pm every Tuesday), you can catch up immediately on streaming service Showmax. Episodes go live as they air and can be streamed or downloaded to your device to watch later.
Each episode sees Starling Investigation Unit detectives Bas Koorts and Beatrice Mack (Chris Vorster and Monique Rockman) follow crimes and criminals from other worlds – and sometimes other dimensions.
More series to love
- Everyone’s talking about the shenanigans in the small Karoo town of Maanhaardrif. Catch up on the goings-on by bingeing on Dwaalster.
- Then, for more small-town drama, check out Spoorloos and see what happens when an old mystery rattles feathers.
- No one is above the law in legal drama Fynskrif.
- For your lighter side, Jonathan from the East Rand will have you in stitches in Die Radio Raps Show, while Schalk Bezuidenhout leads the cast in the hilarious comedy, Hotel. Here a group of hapless employees of a rundown inn try to turn their hotel around.
- There’s also great reality. Go to the Platteland and search for love in good old favourite Boer Soek 'n Vrou.
Can she escape her destiny in Meerkat Maantuig?
Pop on some popcorn and settle on the couch - Showmax has some excellent Afrikaans movies that’ll keep you in on a Friday night. This month sees the debut of the award-winning movie Meerkat Maantuig. It also has a bit of a supernatural theme, this time in the form of a family curse that has killed every Gideon De La Rey for generations.
After the death of her father, teen Gideonette is sent to live with her eccentric grandparents, where she tries to find inventive ways to escape what she sees as her inevitable fate. This movie has done really well at film festivals around the world and it’s well worth watch.
More great movies
- Crime writer Deon Meyer’s book comes to life in tense thriller Jagveld. Emma goes on the run when she encounters a group of violent murderers. But as the daughter of a special forces soldier, she’s no pushover and a game of cat and mouse ensues.
- There’s drama of a different kind in Wonderlus. Guests wake up the morning after a wedding to realise everything’s gone horribly wrong…
- In Vaselinetjie, a girl searches for her identity in a racially divided SA. It’s a moving story about love and loss.
- If you’re up for a laugh, check out Kampterrein. The Fouches always go to the same holiday resort and expect nothing to change. But their favourite camping spot has been taken by the Khumalos! This starts a ridiculous tit-for-tat war, with side-splitting consequences.
How to get Showmax
Get a taste of the Showmax action with a two-week free trial. Thereafter, it costs just R99 per month. If you’re a DStv Premium subscriber, Showmax is free. DStv Compact customers pay R49. Go to www.showmax.com/dstv.
This article was paid for by Showmax.