RECIPE: Lamb shanks with spices & grapes
Fresh grapes add an unusual twist to this slow-roasted dish. The fact that it's cooked in a Dutch oven (ovenproof casserole dish) is an added bonus: no stove-top browning, reduced cooking time and lovely juicy meat
Serves: 3 as a main, 6 for a family sharing.
15ml (1 tbsp) cake flour
15ml (1 tbsp) ground cinnamon
Salt and white pepper
3 lamb shanks, trimmed
500ml (2 cups) beef or lamb stock
150g (1 cup) golden sultanas
2 bunches of grapes
1 cinnamon stick
5ml (1 tsp) ground ginger
5ml (1 tsp) ground cumin
Pinch of cayenne pepper
1) Preheat the oven to 180ºC.
2) Combine the flour, cinnamon, salt and pepper and rub all over the shanks.
3) Place the shanks in a Dutch oven (ovenproof casserole), pour over half the stock and bake uncovered for 40 minutes, turning after 20 minutes. They should be nicely browned.
4) Add the remaining stock, sultanas, grapes and spices, cover with a lid or foil and bake for a further 45-60 minutes or until very tender.
5) Serve with mash or couscous.