RECIPE: Tiddy oggies (lamb & potato pasties)
Tiddy oggies literally means potato pasties. They’re traditionally made with beef but we’ve used lamb to these wholesome homemade pies
400g lamb, cut of choice, finely diced
4-6 potatoes, peeled and finely diced
2 onions, chopped
2 turnips or carrots, finely diced
10ml (2 tsp) salt
5ml (1 tsp) ground black pepper
150ml beef stock
360g (3 cups) cake flour
5ml (1 tsp) salt
100g cold butter, grated
125ml (½ cup) cold water
Milk, for brushing
1) Preheat the oven to 150°C and grease a large baking tray.
2) Mix together all the ingredients for the filling and set aside.
3) For the pastry, sift the flour and salt into a bowl. Using your fingertips, rub the butter into the flour until it resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Add water, one splash at a time, stirring continuously with the handle of a wooden spoon until a firm dough forms.
4) Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth.
5) Divide the dough into 6 equal portions. Roll out each piece into a circle the size of a side plate and trim the edges. Divide the filling into 6 equal portions and place in the centre of each pastry. Dampen the edges of the pastries and bring the two sides together in the middle, then pinch and crimp the edges to seal the pastie and make a frill.
6) Arrange the pasties on the baking tray. Brush the tops with milk and bake for 2 hours.
• Recipe from 'Make Give Sell' by Callie Maritz & Mari-Louis Guy
digital access - or try
a day pass for
only R15! SUBSCRIBE