RECIPE: Pickled tomato & quinoa salad
Packed with bold flavours, this unusual salad is served in jars making it brilliant for picnics or to pop in your lunchbox for work
Difficulty: Easy, 30 minutes plus extra for chilling
125ml (½ cup) olive oil
5ml (1 tsp) fennel seeds
2 garlic cloves, minced
15ml (1 tbsp) mustard seeds
5ml (1 tsp) pickling spice
250ml (1 cup) apple cider vinegar
125ml (½ cup) water
45ml (3 tbsp) sugar
800g-1kg assorted tomatoes, thickly sliced
Fresh herbs of your choice
85g (1/2 cup) quinoa
1. Heat the oil in a small saucepan over moderate heat and fry the fennel seeds and garlic until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Set aside.
2. In a separate saucepan, combine the mustard seeds, pickling spice, vinegar, water and sugar. Stir over moderate heat until the sugar has dissolved.
3. Combine the contents of the 2 saucepans and allow to cool.
4. Layer the tomato slices in sterilised jars. Add salt and fresh herbs of choice, then pour over the pickling liquid, seal and refrigerate until ready to use.
5. Serve with quinoa, cooked according to package instructions.