RECIPE | American corn dogs
Turn a Vienna sausage into a celebration by popping it on a stick, coating it in a mealie meal batter and deep frying it. Yum!
125ml (½ cup) tomato sauce
30ml (2 tbsp) wholegrain mustard
30ml (2 tbsp) finely chopped gherkins
12 Vienna sausages or frankfurters
12 wooden kebab sticks
250ml (1 cup) yellow mealie meal
70g (½ cup) self- raising flour
15ml (1 tbsp) sugar
125ml (½ cup) grated cheddar cheese
125ml (½ cup) milk
2 eggs, beaten
60ml (4tbsp) melted butter
Oil, for deep frying
- Combine all the sauce ingredients and set aside.
- Push a wooden skewer into each sausage.
- Combine the mealie meal, self-raising flour, sugar and cheese in a mixing bowl.
- Combine the milk, eggs and melted butter in a jug.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix to form a smooth batter.
- Preheat a pot of oil for deep frying.
- Dip the sausages in the batter, twirling to coat them, and then deep fry until golden brown. Serve immediately with the sauce.