RECIPE | Crispy Hasselback potatoes with goat's cheese
Use a little nifty knife work to turn ordinary baked potatoes into Swedish spud sensations
Time: 80 minutes including baking time
4 large potatoes
45ml (3 tbsp) butter
45ml (3 tbsp) olive oil
1 clove of garlic, mashed
Sprig of rosemary, finely chopped
Pinch of chilli flakes
Salt and black pepper
100g cumin tomme* goat's cheese or cheddar, grated
1) Heat the oven to 200°C.
2) Cut slits into each potato, stopping just before you cut all the way through.
3) Melt the butter and olive oil together and add the garlic, rosemary, chilli and seasoning.
4) Arrange the potatoes in a baking dish and brush with half the butter mixture.
5) Bake for 30 minutes.
6) Brush with the rest of the butter mixture, making sure it penetrates into the slits.
7) Bake for another 30 minutes or so until the edges of the potato are crisp.
8) Remove from oven and sprinkle the potatoes with the tomme.
9) Bake for another 10 minutes and serve immediately.
* Tomme is a semi-hard goat's milk cheese matured for 3-6 months, similar to gouda or cheddar. Available from Pepecharlot.co.za