RECIPE: Strawberry & apple crumble
Apples and seasonal berries baked together under a crisp topping of oats and nuts
Difficulty: Easy, 60 minutes
4 apples, peeled, cored and cut into small chunks
100g raspberries or strawberries
5ml (1 tsp) ground cinnamon
Zest and juice of 1 orange
100g brown sugar
125g butter, cut into cubes
75g maize meal
75g rolled oats
50g chopped hazel or pecan nuts
1) Preheat oven to 180°C.
2) Place the apples, raspberries, cinnamon, orange zest and juice, and half the sugar into a bowl and mix.
3) Divide between four greased oven-proof bowls/ramekins.
4) Place the butter, flour and maize meal in a mixing bowl and rub with your fingers until it resembles wet sand.
5) Stir in the remaining sugar, oats and nuts.
6) Sprinkle the crumble mixture over the apple mixture in the four bowls.
7) Bake for 25-30 minutes until juice starts to bubble through the crumble topping.
8) Serve warm with cream or ice cream.