RECIPE | Braaied vegetable-stuffed butternut
This recipe from Chanel Marais and Nick Perfect, finalists on 'The Ultimate Braai Master 5', proves that meat doesn't have to be the star attraction at a braai
1 large butternut
1 each red, green and yellow pepper, cored and sliced
2 onions, sliced
4 baby marrows, sliced and chopped
1 potato, cut into thin slices
Potato wedge spice
Sprigs of fresh thyme
1) Cut off the top of butternut and, keeping it together with the bottom, wrap it in foil and cook over hot coals in a Kamado Jan (ceramic grill and braai) till soft.
2) In a pan on the fire, sauté the peppers, onions and baby marrows in a little olive oil. Set aside.
3) Toss the potato slices in olive oil and potato wedge spice and grill them over the hot coals. Set aside.
4) Carefully spoon out the butternut flesh, removing the seeds and keeping the bottom of the butternut whole.
5) Mix the butternut flesh with the sautéed vegetables. Add the thyme and salt if necessary.
6) Fill the bottom of the butternut with the butternut-and-vegetable mixture. Top with grilled potato slices and serve.