RECIPE: chicken & pasta pie
A mashup of two of the world's best comfort foods, this pasta bake is topped with a crisp puff pastry lid
1 free-range chicken
1 onion, peeled
1 bunch fresh parsley
750ml (3 cups) water
5ml (1 tsp) salt
250ml (1 cup) uncooked macaroni or short pasta of your choice
30ml (2 tbsp) olive oil
30ml (2 tbsp) butter
1 onion, finely chopped
15ml (1 tbsp) cake flour
250ml (1 cup) chicken stock
125ml (½ cup) white wine
2.5ml (½ tsp) ground cloves
2.5ml (½ tsp) ground cinnamon
15ml (1 tbsp) chopped fresh parsley
30ml (2 tbsp) grated parmesan cheese
Salt and white pepper, to taste
1 x 400g roll ready-made puff pastry, preferably all-butter, lightly rolled out
1 egg, lightly beaten
1) Place the chicken, onion and parsley in a large pot. Pour over water and add salt. Bring to the boil, cover partially with a lid and cook for about 1 hour or until water has reduced by two-thirds. Remove chicken, cool and remove flesh from bones. Cut flesh into chunks and discard skin and bones.
2) Cook macaroni in a pot of salted boiling water until al dente. Drain and set aside.
3) Heat oil and butter in a large pan and gently fry onion until soft. Add flour and stir to form a paste. Gradually add the stock, stirring continuously to form a smooth sauce. Add wine, cloves and cinnamon and cook for 5 minutes.
4) Preheat the oven to 180°C.
5) Remove the sauce from the heat and stir in the parsley, parmesan, pasta and chicken. Season.
6) Spoon the filling into a greased oven-proof dish and top with the pastry. Brush with egg and bake for 30 minutes or until pastry is golden and cooked.
free to read for a
limited period! SIGN UP