RECIPE | Lemon-curd lava puddings
Served warm, these dark chocolate puds have a gooey lemon-curd filling. They're an easy, but impressive dessert to serve when entertaining; simply double the quantity of the batter if you're expecting lots of guests
Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
4 large free-range eggs
1 large free-range egg yolk
350g caster sugar
4 large lemons, juiced and zested
15ml (1 tbsp) good-quality cocoa, plus extra for dusting
200g dark chocolate, chopped
200g butter, chopped
4 free-range eggs
4 free-range egg yolks
15ml (1 tbsp) vanilla extract
100g caster sugar
1. To make the lemon curd, whisk the eggs and egg yolk and place in a saucepan over low-to-medium heat. Add the sugar, butter, lemon juice and zest. Whisk for 10-15 minutes, or until smooth and thick. Allow to cool and thicken further.
2. Spoon a tablespoon of lemon curd into each of the 6 cavities of an ice tray and freeze.
3. Preheat the oven to 200ºC. Grease 6 metal dariole moulds or tea cups and dust with cocoa powder.
4. To make the puddings, melt the chocolate and butter in a glass bowl over simmering water. Cool for 10 minutes.
5. Whisk the eggs and sugar until creamy.
6. Stir in the vanilla extract and the chocolate mixture.
7. Fold in the flour and cocoa.
8. Half-fill the moulds with batter, then add a cube of frozen lemon curd to each and add more batter until they are two-thirds full.
9. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the tops spring back when touched. Run a knife around the cakes and turn out onto plates.
• Recipe and photograph courtesy of Woolworths Taste magazine.