RECIPE: Sticky ClemenGold-glazed chicken with roast pumpkin
Brining the chicken beforehand ensures this roast remains deliciously moist
Time: 1 hour 30 minutes plus brining
160g fine salt
55g brown sugar
30ml (2 tbsp) red wine vinegar
3 oranges, juiced (keep the skins)
1 lemon, juiced (keep the skin)
1 whole free-range chicken
1 head of garlic, halved
½ pumpkin, cut into large wedges
10ml (2 tsp) fresh sage
60ml (4 tbsp) olive oil
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
50g mixed seeds, roastedMethod:
1. To make the citrus brine, combine the salt, sugar, vinegar and water and bring to a simmer. Add the orange and lemon juice and skins and cook for 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and cool completely.
2. Place the chicken in a container and pour over the brine. Cover and chill overnight.
3. Preheat the oven to 220ºC.
4. Rinse the chicken and pat dry. Stuff with 1 halved ClemenGold and the garlic. Tie the legs together with string and place on a baking tray.
5. Arrange 3 sliced ClemenGolds, the pumpkin and the sage around the bird.
6. Drizzle over the juice of 2 ClemenGolds and the olive oil, dot with butter and season to taste.
7. Roast for 1-1½ hours, basting regularly with pan juices until the chicken is cooked through and the juices run clear.
8. Transfer the chicken, ClemenGolds and pumpkin to a platter, scatter the roasted mixed seeds over the top and serve.
• Recipe and photograph courtesy of Woolworths Taste magazine...