RECIPE: Easy peasy banting eggs benedict
You won't miss the bacon from this vegetarian take on the New York breakfast classic
1 punnet of green asparagus
2 large egg yolks
30ml (2 tbsp) lemon juice or more to taste Pinch of cayenne pepper
60g salted butter, melted
15ml (1 tbsp) white vinegar
2 extra-large eggs
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Wash and trim asparagus and place in a microproof dish with 30ml (2 tbsp) water. Cover with clingwrap, pierce and microwave on high for 2-3 minutes. Keep warm.
2. For the sauce beat the egg yolks, lemon juice and cayenne pepper in a glass bowl. Pouring from a height slowly pour hot melted butter into yolk mixture while whisking. Just before using heat in microwave for 15-20 seconds, then whisk. If sauce separates, add a splash of water and whisk until combined.
3. Boil water in a pot, add vinegar and return to a rolling boil.
4. Crack an egg into a ramekin and carefully drop the egg into the water and using a slotted spoon ease white towards the yolk. Boil for 3-5 minutes, to taste. Remove and keep warm in hot water. Repeat with the other egg.
5. On a heated plate place the warmed asparagus and top with a poached egg.
6. Spoon over the sauce, season and serve immediately.
7. Repeat with the second egg.