Sunday Times Food Awards
Where to buy SA's yummiest blueberry muffins
Our taste testers have spoken: here's which supermarket to head to if you're after crowd-pleasing muffins
HOW WE CONDUCTED OUR TASTE TEST
It's free and fair!
Taste is a subjective thing, we know, but if you gather a group of people - as we did with 40 Sunday Times readers - and ask them to blind-taste baked goods from leading supermarkets, you will come to an agreement on the winners and the losers.
The panel of tasters were presented with each of the products "naked" without any branding or packaging. They were asked to judge them according to their appearance, taste and texture and to say whether they would buy them or not.
To be sure of fairness, auditor Jade Craig oversaw the event and tallied the scores.
FIRST PLACE: Woolworths Blueberry muffins
Price: R27.99 for 4
- Tracy: Lots of blueberries!
- Koketso: Slightly dry but good overall.
- Shivani: Most appealing of all muffins with a sufficient serving of blueberries.
- Diana-Kay: This was lovely in comparison to the other muffins.
SECOND PLACE: SPAR Freshline Blueberry muffins
Price: R34.99 for 6
- Wendy: It made me think of something I’d expect from Woolworths.
- Val: Looked nice but nothing special about it taste wise.
- Arlene: All of the blueberry muffins taste a little artificial.
- Cassandra: A little on the spicy side but had the best taste and texture.
THIRD PLACE: Pick n Pay Blueberry muffins
Price: R32.99 for 6
- Catherine: Looked dry and tasted dry.
- Judy: An average muffin.
- Lisa: Why must one search for blueberries?
- Moira: Good colour.
- Chantal: Very doughy
- Thirusha: Not sweet nor moist enough.
FOURTH PLACE: Checkers: Blueberry muffins
Price: R29.99 for 6
- Tracy: Hard outside but moist inside. Not even one piece of blueberry!
- Dede: Too oily.
- Koketso: Doughy taste, not light and fluffy, and a bit oily.
- Mantumo: Looked uncooked and felt heavy.
- Carmen: I would turn it down on appearance as the muffin is very flat, like a cupcake.
digital access - or try
a day pass for
only R15! SUBSCRIBE