Sunday Times Food Awards
Which SA supermarket makes the most delicious chocolate brownies?
In a quest to help you buy the best, our panel of tasters put ready-made baked goods to the test
HOW WE CONDUCTED OUR TASTE TEST
It's free and fair!
Taste is a subjective thing, we know, but if you gather a group of people - as we did with 40 Sunday Times readers - and ask them to blind-taste brownies from leading supermarkets, you will come to an agreement on the winners and the losers.
The panel of tasters were presented with each of the products "naked" without any branding or packaging. They were asked to judge them according to their appearance, taste and texture and to say whether they would buy them or not.
To be sure of fairness, auditor Jade Craig oversaw the event and tallied the scores.
FIRST PLACE: Checkers Rich brownies
Price: R34.99 for 5
- Wendy: Tastes like a slab of chocolate. Not a single nut in sight.
- Aadila: Absolutely delicious. Melts in the mouth.
- Miranda: Lots of chocolate, not as appealing to look at but taste is tops.
SECOND PLACE: PICK N PAY Chocolate brownie slices
Price: R14.99 each
- Liberia: Too much like a cake and very spongy.
- Moira: Nice icing, lots of nuts but tastes like a cake.
- Laura: Just love the icing.
THIRD PLACE: SPAR Freshline Brownies
Price: R28.99 for 5
- Laurel: It should be velvety to the taste.
- Zahraa: The topping was missing something.
- Fatima: Looks attractive, but as a cake, not as a brownie.
- Beryl: Tastes like a chocolate cake with a fudge icing.
FOUTH PLACE: Woolworths Chocolate brownies
Price: R42.99 for 5
- Koketso: The appearance is not so good but loved the taste and texture.
- Sharien: Looks like a piece of flat fudge.
- Wendy: The nuts make it a real brownie. Looks like a Woolworths brownie.
digital access - or try
a day pass for
only R15! SUBSCRIBE