RECIPE: Italian bean salad
Roasted pine nuts, crisp bacon and fresh green beans add a delicious crunch to this Mediterranean white bean salad
60ml (4 tbsp) pine nuts or roughly chopped almonds
6 rashers of streaky bacon - or use smoked beef
250g fine green beans, trimmed
60ml (4 tbsp) extra-virgin olive oil
45ml (3 tbsp) white balsamic vinegar or lemon juice
1 large clove of garlic, crushed
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 frisee lettuce, washed, dried and torn (or use lettuce of choice)
1 x 400g can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
1 small red onion, finely diced
1. Toast the nuts in a dry-frying pan until golden and tip into a bowl.
2. Fry the bacon in a non-stick pan till golden brown and crisp. Drain on paper towel and cut or break into pieces.
3. Cook the green beans in a large pan of boiling salted water until just tender - 2-3 minutes. Drain, refresh in cold water and dry.
4. Whisk together olive oil, balsamic vinegar and garlic in a large mixing bowl. Season generously.
5. Add the lettuce, cannellini beans, green beans, onion, bacon, and pine nuts. Toss well to combine.
6. Divide between bowls or serve on a large platter.