RECIPE | Frozen peanut butter rocky road bars
TV chef Justine Drake shows you how to turn a packet of cake mix into a cool dessert
½ box (325g) chocolate cake mix
125ml (½ cup) cooking oil
125ml (½ cup) warm strong coffee
250ml (1 cup) smooth peanut butter plus an extra 125ml (½ cup) warmed
1.5-litre (¾ tub) readymade vanilla ice cream
1 x 180g packet of chocolate-coated peanuts
5 chocolate biscuits, crushed
85g slab of dark chocolate, chopped
1. Prepare chocolate cake mix according to package instructions, remembering you halve the amount of ingredients called for - adding the eggs, cooking oil and coffee.
2. Pour the mix into a sprayed 30x23cm tray and bake at 180°C for 20-25 minutes. Cool.
3. Spread the first amount of peanut butter on top of the cake.
4. Soften the ice cream slightly and stir in peanuts, biscuits and chocolate pieces.
5. Spread ice cream over the top of the cooled cake.
6. Drizzle warmed peanut butter over the ice cream. Freeze overnight.
7. Slice into bars and serve.
• For more delicious recipes, catch Justine Drake on 'Just Cooking' on SABC 3 (DStv channel 193) on Tuesdays at 8.30pm.