Sunday Times Food Awards
Which supermarket makes the best biltong & droëwors?
Our taste testers have spoken: here's where to head to buy the tastiest snacks
HOW WE CONDUCTED OUR TASTE TEST
It's free and fair!
Taste is a subjective thing, we know, but if you gather a group of people together — as we did with Sunday Times readers — and ask them to blind-taste biltong and droewors from leading supermarkets, you are bound to find winners and losers.
The readers were presented with each of the products "naked" without any branding or packaging. They were asked to score them according to appearance, taste, suitability as a cocktail snack, generosity and whether they would buy the item.
To be sure of fairness, auditor Jade Craig oversaw the event, tallied the scores and gave the tasting her stamp of approval.
FIRST PLACE: Checkers Kalahari Beef Biltong
Price: R259.99 per kg
- James: Good biltong, great to munch during the game.
- Puleng: Too nice!
- Caroline: Loved it, looked great, not too thick.
SECOND PLACE: Pick n Pay Sliced Beef Biltong
Price: R36.99 for 80g
- James: Flavour bit gamey.
- Puleng: Tastes nice and soft.
- Caroline: Like it, chunky.
THIRD PLACE: Woolworths Bulk Moist Sliced Beef Biltong
Price: R219.99 for 400g
- Shantal: Bit wet, strips well cut.
- Liz: I prefer wet biltong but tastes a bit artificial.
- Rory: Nice and moist but no taste.
FIRST PLACE: Checkers Kalahari Beef Droëwors
Price: R229.98 per kg
- Joy: Moist and a little sweet.
- Wynand: Tasty but still a little too wet.
- Nthabi: My favourite, just right.
SECOND PLACE: Pick n Pay Beef Droëwors
Price: R29.99 for 80g
- Yvette: Quite fatty.
- Linda: Good texture and flavour.
- Anita: Fatty with strong aftertaste.
THIRD PLACE: Woolworths Bulk Free Range Beef Droëwors
Price: R179.99 for 400g
- James: Strong taste, not my preference.
- Puleng: Didn’t enjoy the taste.
- Liz: Not going to buy this one.
- Rory: Bland, lacks spice and taste.
digital access - or try
a day pass for
only R15! SUBSCRIBE