RECIPE: Pickled red cabbage
Fermentation and pickling are excellent ways of preserving food, leaving it loaded with healthful probiotics, says TV chef Justine Drake
Makes: About 2 cups
1 x 1kg red cabbage, finely shredded
Approximately 2-4 tbsp coarse sea salt
1 red onion, sliced
125ml (½ cup) balsamic vinegar
125ml (½ cup) red wine vinegar
125ml (½ cup) red wine
125ml (½ cup) sugar
10ml (2 tsp) black peppercorns
3 bay leaves
2 - 3 cloves of garlic, sliced
15ml (1 tbsp) yellow mustard seedsMethod:
1. Place the shredded cabbage in a colander and sprinkle with salt. Leave for 30 - 60 hours, then rinse well to remove salt. Drain well to dry.
2. Toss cabbage with onion.
3. Bring vinegars, wine, sugar, peppercorns, bay leaves and garlic to the boil, reduce heat and simmer until the liquid is slightly syrupy, about 20 minutes.
4. Remove bay leaves and add mustard seeds.
5. Pour over cabbage.
6. Transfer into sterilised jars and seal.
7. Rest for 24 hours or keep in the fridge for up to two weeks.
• For more delicious recipes, catch Justine Drake on 'Just Cooking' on SABC 3 (DStv channel 193) on Tuesdays at 8.30pm.