RECIPE | Festive vegan fruit cake
Made without butter or eggs, this Christmas cake is suitable for those dietary restrictions. Because it's boozy, it needs 10 days for the flavours to mature
Makes: 1 cake
150g dried pitted prunes, chopped
500g prepacked dried fruit cake mix
200g glacé cherries
175g coconut oil
300g dark muscovado sugar
150ml coffee liqueur
Zest and juice of 2 oranges
30ml (2 tbsp) cacao
10ml (2 tsp) mixed spice
5ml (1 tsp) instant espresso powder
2.5ml (½ tsp) salt
45ml (3 tbsp) flax meal
100g ground almonds
100g apple sauce
100g mixed nuts of your choice, roughly chopped (optional)
5ml (1 tsp) baking powder
100ml brandy, rum or amaretto
Extra brandy or rum for brushing
1. Place fruit, oil, sugar, liqueur, zest and juice, cacao, mixed spice, espresso powder and salt in a saucepan and slowly bring to boil while stirring. Simmer for 10 minutes, then let cool to room temperature.
2. Pre-heat oven to 150°C.
3. Line sides and bottom of a 22cm loose-bottom cake tin with baking paper. Double line the sides with more paper, making sure the paper edges are about 3cm higher than the tin.
4. In a large bowl, mix flax meal and water then let stand to thicken for a few minutes.
5. Add fruit, flour, almonds, apple sauce, nuts (if using) and baking powder to the flax mixture and mix well.
6. Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for about 2 hours until cake is firm and the top is shiny. Start testing when it's about 1h 45min in by inserting a cake tester into the middle. Do not worry if there is a slight bit of moist batter attached to the tester. If still too raw, return to oven for another 15 minutes and test again. Cover the top with foil so the cake does not become too dark on top.
7. When cooked, remove from the oven and pierce some holes with the cake tester. Pour brandy, rum or amaretto carefully over the hot cake.
8. Cool completely before removing from the tin.
9. Wrap the cake tightly in foil and let rest for 10 days in an airtight container, brushing with extra brandy every few days until serving.