RECIPE: Green gazpacho with seeded soda bread sticks
Summer entertaining doesn't have to be expensive or laden with kilojoules, says TV chef Justin Drake. Try her easy recipe for this refreshing chilled soup served with homemade bread sticks
100g baby spinach
1 green apple, peeled and chopped
2 garlic cloves
1 large cucumber, seeded and chopped
½ green chilli, seeded, optional
1 x 30g punnet of fresh parsley
1 x 30g punnet of fresh basil
Half a punnet (15g) mint
1 x 30g fresh rocket
4 spring onions
45ml (3 tbsp) white balsamic vinegar
Salt and milled pepper
Water or vegetable stock, as needed
Olive oil and ice cubes to serve
1. Place all the ingredients, except stock, oil and ice cubes, into a food processor and blitz. Add water or vegetable stock to create a soupy consistency. Adjust seasoning to taste.
2. Chill for at least two hours.
3. To serve, ladle into bowls, float a few ice cubes in each bowl, drizzle with oil and top with edible flowers or micro herbs. Plate with a side of bread sticks (see recipe below).
SEEDED SODA BREAD STICKS
Makes: 12 - 15 bread sticks
350g (3 cups) wholewheat flour, plus extra for dusting
125ml (½ cup) four-seed mix (sesame, sunflower, linseed and pumpkin)
5ml (1 tsp) bicarbonate of soda
15ml (1 tbsp) brown sugar
A generous pinch salt
Olive oil and extra seeds for topping
1. Preheat oven to 200°C and line a baking sheet with baking paper or dust with flour.
2. Place all ingredients into a blender and blend to combine (this can just as easily be done by hand). Mix until you have a soft, slightly sticky dough.
3. Place dough on a lightly floured surface, break off balls and roll into sausage shapes.
4. Place on a baking sheet, brush with a little oil and scatter with seeds.
5. Bake for 15-20 minutes until the crust is golden and the sticks sound hollow when tapped underneath.
• For more delicious recipes, catch Justine Drake on 'Just Cooking' on SABC 3 (DStv channel 193) on Tuesdays at 8.30pm.