RECIPE: Frozen ice-cream fruit cake
It's easy to impress with this spectacular dessert that's made by pimping up tubs of store-bought ice cream
Preparation time: 1 hour, plus freezing time
Cooking time: 10 minutes
45-60ml (3-4 tbsp) icing sugar, sifted
4-litres quality vanilla ice cream
1. Lightly mash 150g raspberries with a fork adding 2 tbsp icing sugar.
2. In a saucepan, combine 360g blueberries and 2 tbsp icing sugar with 1 or 2 tbsp water and bring to a simmer. Remove from the heat and mash.
4. Do the same with 400g strawberries, chopping them first and adding extra icing sugar if necessary.
5. Place the berries in the fridge to cool, keeping them separate from each other. Reserve the remaining whole berries for garnish.
6. Line the base of 2 x 20cm springform cake tins with cling wrap before clipping the sides of the tins to the bases to secure the cling wrap.
7. Slightly soften 1-litre of ice cream at a time, so it is easily spreadable with a spatula. Spoon the first litre of ice cream into one of the tins and top with the raspberries. Place in the freezer to set.
8. Add another litre of ice cream to the same tin and top with the strawberries. Return it to the freezer and freeze overnight.
9. Repeat with another cake tin and the remaining ice cream, but this time arranging the blueberries in the middle layer and leaving the top layer of ice cream bare. Set overnight in the freezer.
10. To assemble the cake, wrap each tin in a hot cloth and run a hot palette knife between the edge of the cake and the tin to loosen the ice cream; release the tin's clip to unmold. Place the strawberry and raspberry ice cream layer on a cake stand, top with the blueberry layer and decorate with the reserved whole berries.
11. Once presented, separate the two layers of the ice cream cake before cutting into serving portions for easier and safer slicing.
WINE PAIRING SUGGESTION:
Haute Cabriere Pierre Jourdan Brut NV
A brilliantly balanced brut cap classique that has lively lime notes and a soft lingering finish. It's priced at about R114.