RECIPE: Honey-glazed salmon with pickled onions & dill
Pescatarians will be delighted to see this posh fish dish on your festive table
Preparation time: 35 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
250ml (1 cup) red wine vinegar
45ml (3 tbsp) caster sugar
6 cardamom pods
2 small red onions, thinly sliced
125ml (½ cup) honey
1 x 1kg Norwegian salmon side (or use another sustainable oily fish like yellowtail)
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 fennel bulbs, shaved
Dill fronds, for garnish
Baby radishes, for garnish
1. For the pickled onions, combine the red wine vinegar, caster sugar, cardamom pods and peppercorns in a small saucepan. Simmer for 5 minutes. Pour into a jar over the onions. Leave aside to cool.
2. Preheat the oven to 220°C.
3. Make burnt butter for the salmon by heating the butter in a pan until it begins to brown. Once it foams, remove from the heat, add a squeeze of lemon juice and stir in the honey to dissolve.
4. Arrange the salmon in a roaster. Brush the fish with the butter mixture to coat the entire surface, before roasting for 10-15 minutes until cooked to your liking. Baste regularly.
5. Serve warm with pink pickled onions, shaved fennel, baby radishes and dill fronds.
WINE PAIRING SUGGESTION:
The House of Krone Chardonnay Pinot Noir 2017
A wine with crisp acidity and elegance with a hint of delicate red berry fruit flavour on the finish, making it a great wine to pair with this dish. It's priced at around R75.