RECIPE: Roast turkey with sticky roasted plums
This delicious dish would be a worthy centerpiece for any Christmas table. It can also be made with chicken, if you prefer
Turkeys are in short supply this year but you can use a large free-range chicken instead - and half the stuffing mixture - or prepare two chickens using the full mixture.
Preparation time: 45 minutes
Cooking time: 2 hours
1 red onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
250-500ml (1 -2 cups) fresh breadcrumbs, toasted
250ml (1 cup) chicken stock
125ml (½ cup) apple juice
10g fresh thyme, chopped
70g pecan nuts, chopped
80ml (⅓ cup) dried apple or figs, chopped
3-4kg turkey (free-range if possible), defrosted
30ml (2 tbsp) olive oil
45ml (3 tbsp) honey
Sticky roast plums:
6 plums (or nectarines/peaches), halved
30ml (2 tbsp) butter
15ml (1 tbsp) caster sugar
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. For the stuffing, melt 100g of butter. Add the onion and garlic and soften over a low heat for 5 minutes. Add a cup or two of toasted breadcrumbs to the pan, along with the chicken stock, apple juice, thyme, pecan nuts and dried apple. Season and combine.
2. Stuff into the cavity of the turkey before tying the legs with string to secure.
3. Drizzle the turkey with olive oil and place in an oval casserole dish with 100g butter.
4. Roast for 1½-2 hours, adding water to the casserole to prevent the turkey from drying out. After an hour, baste the turkey with 20g butter and 30ml (2 tbsp) honey.
5. For the plums, top each half with ½ tsp of butter, a squeeze of lemon juice and some caster sugar. Place around the turkey and roast for the last 15-20 minutes until slightly caramelised and tender.
WINE PAIRING SUGGESTION:
Graham Beck Brut Rosé 2012
This ultimate food-friendly mèthode Cap classique is a first for South Africa: pinot noir and chardonnay pressed together in the same press. An explosion of raspberry fruit and slight honeysuckle flavours on the palate, with a persistent yet delicate mousse. It's priced at around R250.
digital access - or try
a day pass for
only R15! SUBSCRIBE