RECIPE: Summer vegetable & pesto tart
This moreish tart works equally well as a starter or a vegetarian main course
Preparation time: 1 hour
Cooking time: 1 hour
125g butter, cubed
250g flour, sifted
60ml (¼ cup) water, to bind
150g mature cheddar cheese, grated
50g chevin goat's cheese
Assorted thinly sliced grilled vegetables - baby marrow, butternut, purple brinjal, beetroot, sweet potato and kale
375ml (1½ cups) cream
3 free-range eggs, beaten
10g chives, chopped
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
125g basil pesto
1. To make the pastry, place the butter and flour into a food processor and pulse until the texture becomes like breadcrumbs. With the motor running slowly, add 1 tbsp water at a time until a dough starts forming. Turn out onto a floured surface and knead into a ball (knead for no longer than 5 minutes).
2. Wrap in cling film and chill for 30 minutes.
3. Grease a skillet/grill pan and line with baking paper.
4. Roll out the pastry dough between two sheets of baking paper to keep it from sticking. Press into the skillet, making sure the edges hang over slightly, and prick the base
of the pastry numerous times with a fork. Chill in the fridge for 20 minutes.
5. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
6. Blind bake the pastry, weighted down with baking paper and baking beans for 15 minutes, until lightly golden.
7. Spread the cheddar cheese and dot the goat's cheese over the base of the pastry.
8. Arrange the grilled vegetables in a spiral, alternating vegetables until you fill the tart case.
9. In a bowl, whisk together the cream, eggs, chives and seasoning. Pour the mixture into the pastry case, and bake for 40-45 minutes until set and golden.
10. Leave to cool slightly before serving with a drizzle of basil pesto.
WINE PAIRING SUGGESTION:
Buitenverwachting Sauvignon Blanc 2017
This full-bodied wine along with its crisp minerality, herbaceous notes and citrus flavours, promises a tasty tandem paired with this tartlet. It's priced at about R105.